Map Upgrade 2014
New features and enhancements
The recent upgrade of the University map ([]) has introduced a range of printing features, enhanced the interface, and added the oEmbed functionality for easier embedding of maps into CMSs. It is now possible to print the map for personal use or export an area of the map as a graphic for use on printed materials.
Exporting or printing
- Once you have located the area you wish to export or print, you can access the functionality by clicking on the print icon on the left side of the map.
- The Export/print pages have headers and footers in a different colour (red) so they are easily identified. They give four options:
- Quick Print: just get what you see as an A4 PDF
- PDF A4 page: with search results, orientation, area and scale options
- PNG image: for a website or pasted into e.g. a Word document ([why not JPEG?])
- PDF extract: for embedding in a page layout (e.g. in Adobe InDesign) or for higher quality and arbitrary size printing ([why not EPS?])
- The context menu that appears when you click on the map has been modified to add features and make it easier to use.
- Annotation support has been increased. It is available from the 'More' menu > Annotate the map, at which point the header and footer change to a different colour (green) so you notice you aren't on the map. Simple markers are available form the Content menu, and multiple markers can now be added. A full description of the annotation functionality is at https://wiki.cam.ac.uk/university-map/Map_Annotation
oEmbed is now built into the map so that it can automatically recognise a map URL and supply the embed code. This is fully explained, with some information about how to employ it is your CMS and a plug-in for WordPress - see https://wiki.cam.ac.uk/university-map/The_Embedding_API#oEmbed_.28automatically_recognising_a_map_URL.29